[R] How a clustering algorithm in R can end up with negative silhouette values?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 20:48:08 CET 2016

That means that points have been assigned to the wrong groups. This
may readily happen with a clustering method like cluster::clara() that
uses a subset of the data to cluster a dataset too large to analyze as
a unit. Negative silhouette numbers strongly suggest that your
clustering parameters should be changed.

Sarah