[R] How a clustering algorithm in R can end up with negative silhouette values?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 21:22:22 CET 2016

Ah, my guess about the confusion was wrong, then. You're
misunderstanding silhouette() instead.

>From ?silhouette:

     Observations with a large s(i) (almost 1) are very well clustered,
     a small s(i) (around 0) means that the observation lies between
     two clusters, and observations with a negative s(i) are probably
     placed in the wrong cluster.

In more detail, they're looking at different things.
clara() assigns each point to a cluster based on the distance to the
nearest medoid.

silhouette() does something different: instead of comparing the
distances to the closest medoid and the next closest medoid, which is
what you seem to be assuming, silhouette() looks at the mean distance
to ALL other points assigned to that cluster, vs the mean distance to
all points in other clusters. The distance to the medoid is
irrelevant, except as it is one of the points in that cluster.

So a negative silhouette value is entirely possible, and means that
the cluster produced doesn't represent the dataset very well.