[R] Reading a datetime vector

D Wolf doug45290 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 17:55:34 CET 2016

Hello Everyone,
The column begins populated with integers as so:1/1/2013 0:00 in the spreadsheet equals 41257 in R's dataframe1/1/2013 0:15 in the spreadsheet equals 41257.010416666664 in R's dataframe...41257 must be in minutes since 1440min/day * .010416666664 day = 15 minutes. 41257 minutes is about 29 days: 41257 min / 1440 min/day = 28.65 days. So I don't know why the dataframe is showing 41257 for 1/12013 0:00.
Oddly, R sees the vector as NULL despite the fact it has integers in each record in the column:data_type = str(df2_TZ$DateTimeStamp) produces a NULL (empty) variable.

I tried:
df2_TZ = read.xlsx2("DF_exp.xlsx", sheetName = "Sheet1")Sys.setenv(TZ = "GMT")testdtm <- as.POSIXct(df2_TZ$DateTimeStamp, format = "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M")# Inspect the resulttestdtmstr(testdtm)
testdtm is a vector filled with NA values, which figures since DateTimeStamp is NULL.
I noticed in the table on page 32 of the R Help Desk pdf you linked to that dp-as.POSIXct(format(dp, tz="GMT")) is the only option listed for time zone difference. So I tried:df2_TZ = read.xlsx2("DF_exp.xlsx", sheetName = "Sheet1")df2_TZ_seq <- as.POSIXct(format(dt2_TZ, tz="GMT"))
and got: Error in format(dt2_TZ, tz = "GMT") : object 'dt2_TZ' not found
Is the vector neither character nor factor, since it's NULL? Where do I go from here?
 Thank You,Doug

Hi Doug,What you have done is to ask whether the character string "DF_exp.xlsx" is a character string. I think Yogi Berra, were he still around, could have told you that. What will give you some useful information is:
str(DF_exp.xlsx)
which asks for information about the object, not its name.
Jim