[R] R 3.2.3 on Win8; mkdir command produces error

HEATHER MICHEL heathermichel at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 24 06:33:08 CET 2016

I found another MOOC that teaches R at a more basic level than the one I am currently taking. Actually, it was suggested by a classmate who discovered it in her search for how to accomplish this homework assignment. It pointed me to http://www.statmethods.net/interface/workspace.html which has a very important statement that pertained to my issue:IMPORTANT NOTE FOR WINDOWS USERS:
   R gets confused if you use a path in your code like
       c:\mydocuments\myfile.txt
   This is because R sees "\" as an escape character. Instead, use
       c:\\my documents\\myfile.txt
       c:/mydocuments/myfile.txt
   Either will work. I use the second convention throughout this website.

This solved my initial problem with calling the correct directory for R to read from.