[R] Calculate negative log of the E-Values in R

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Fri Feb 26 21:48:33 CET 2016

Actually  E is not "just a computer way of saying 0". The E represents a power of 10, thus E-1 = 0.1 e-2=0.01; E therefore is not zero. Because computers generally can not perform exact calculations (for reasons including the fact that our number system is base 10 and a computer's is generally base 2) what might otherwise be a zero is often represented by a very small number such as the one you listed. 4E-108 would be 4x10^-108, a very small number indeed that is (for most but not all purposes) the same as zero.
John