[R] Error : package 'xxx' was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 01:18:10 CET 2016

> On Feb 26, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Cem Girit <girit at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> Here are the steps to the error:
>

> 1.       Uninstall R version 2.x.y.
>
> 2.       Install the latest version (3.2.3) of R.
>
> 3.       Copy all my libraries that were not in the new version into the new
> R library.
>
> 4.       Run  "> update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)" under
> R-Studio.
>

>                Many packages were updated but for some I received:
>

>                "Error : package 'xxx' was built before R 3.0.0: please
> re-install it" error.
>

>                Here is an example:
>

> * installing *source* package 'agricolae' ...
>
> * package 'agricolae' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>
> ** R
>
> ** data
>
> ** inst
>
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
>
> Error : package 'spdep' was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it
>
> ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'agricolae'

You were trying to install pkg:agricolae before one of its dependencies was updated. I think they get updated alphabetically.  So you may need to re-run the update.packages command multiple times so that the required updates are available.

> * removing 'C:/Program Files/R/R-3.2.3/library/agricolae'
>
> Warning in install.packages :
>
>  running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-32~1.3/bin/i386/R" CMD INSTALL -l
> "C:\Program Files\R\R-3.2.3\library"
> C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpG8mSYd/downloaded_packages/agricolae_1.
> 2-3.tar.gz' had status 1
>
> Warning in install.packages :
>
>  installation of package 'agricolae' had non-zero exit status
>

> The downloaded source packages are in
>

> 'C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpG8mSYd\downloaded_packages'
>

>                If I try to install "spdep" package first I get the
> following error:
>

>> install.packages("spdep")
> also installing the dependency 'sp'
>
> Packages which are only available in source form, and may need compilation
> of C/C++/Fortran:
>  'sp' 'spdep'

Seems fairly self-explanatory. You need to install the source version of the packages named. See the appropriate section of the "R Installation and Administration Manual".

--
David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA