[R] divide polygon shapefile into 3 equal areas

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Feb 29 18:51:30 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Shane Carey <careyshan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to divide a polygon into 3 equal areas using R?

 Yes, in an infinite number of ways. Want to narrow it down?

 Specifically, you could slice it vertically, horizontally, or at any
angle between. You could chop it into squares and reassign them (did
you want **contiguous** areas?). You could choose a point and three
radii angles that divide the polygon into 3 equal areas in an infinite
number of ways.

 The rgeos package will help you chop polygons up, and then uniroot
can find the coordinates of lines or radii of angles that chop the
polygon first into 1/3 & 2/3 then chop the 2/3 into 1/2 and 1/2,
giving you three equal pieces.

> I cant seem to be able to do it in QGIS.

 If it can be done in R it can be done in Python and then it can be
done in QGIS...

Barry