[R] How to calculate the prediction interval without knowing the functional form

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 00:21:10 CET 2016

On 03/01/2016 5:57 PM, Wensui Liu wrote:
> If I have predictions derived empirically without knowing the functional
> form, is there a way to calculate the prediction interval?

As Bert said, this isn't really an R question, but I'd say the answer is
"probably not".  The prediction interval depends on the uncertainty of
individual observations, and that isn't usually reflected in
predictions.  For example, if y_i is N(mu, sigma^2), and we fit the
model to N observations, all of our predictions will be ybar, and there
will be no indication of sigma.

Duncan Murdoch