[R] "par(tcl=0.5,las=1)" doesn't work

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jan 7 17:34:59 CET 2016

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:30 AM, Hans Haußmann <hhaussmann at arcor.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Bert Gunter and David Winsemius,
>
> sorry for sending my first post to R-help in German and thank you David for your efforts to translate.
>
> Here are two scripts now. In the first one the graphics parameters "tcl" and "las" are not recognized, in the second one they are. Why not in the first one?
>
> I am not sure whether I may attach the outputs of the two scripts, I just try.

Dear Hans;

When using "external" or "non-interactive graphics devices, you need to put the par call after the device is opened rather than before it.

Try instead:

S=read.table("Sarrazin-2.5",as.is = default.stringsAsFactors())
# moved this call after the device opening call

png(file="partest-2.png",width=580,height=580)
par(tcl=0.5,las=1)
dev.control("enable")
plot(V3,V2,xlab=" ",ylab="BIP, rel. zu Deutschland", pch=16,xlim=c(630,930),ylim=c(95,135))
dev.off()

Best;
David.