[R] rgl.snapshot only captures a small portion what's visible in the RGL device window on CentOS 7

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. Wittner.Ben at mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 8 22:13:09 CET 2016

Hello,

As an example, I ran the following code:

library("rgl")
example(plot3d)
rgl.snapshot("test.png")

The full plot is visible in the window titled RGL device 1 [Focus], but only a small portion of the upper left part of the plot is visible in test.png (see attached test.png, if the list server attaches it. Otherwise, email me if you like and I'll send it directly to you.)

The output of sessionInfo() is as follows:

R version 3.2.3 (2015-12-10)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: CentOS Linux 7 (Core)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.utf8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rgl_0.95.1441

[1] tools_3.2.3

In addition to the CentOS 7 machine, I have a CentOS 5.3 machine, which has R 3.0.2 and rgl 0.93.996. I tried the code above on it and it captured the full window in the output of rgl.snapshot (i.e., it worked properly).

To see whether the difference could be attributed to the CentOS version or the R/rgl version, I put R 3.0.2 with rgl 0.93.996 on the CentOS 7 machine and ran the code above. As with the earlier CentOS 7 run, only a small portion of the plot was visible in the output of rgl.snapshot. So it seems the difference is due to a difference in the CentOS versions and not the R/rgl versions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Ben

dispose of the e-mail.