[R] R editor for Mac

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:59:08 CET 2016

On 20/01/2016 2:22 PM, Franklin Bretschneider wrote:
> Dear Christofer Bogaso,
>

> Re:
>

> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>

> Indeed, as Roy Mendelssohn wrote, the editor built into "R.app", the GUI program which is part of the standard R for OS X, has a beautiful editor, complete with syntax colouring and bracket balancing. And one can run only one or a few lines from a script at wish.
> I couldn't wish myself more.

R.app looks nicer than RStudio (no tiling), but it is missing a lot of
functionality.

  - the debugger
  - the integration with other tools provided by RStudio, like Shiny,
RMarkdown, htmlwidgets, package building tools, etc.
  - the integration with source code management.
  - session management (i.e. it's easier to shut down and restart R,
which you frequently need to do when developing and testing packages)
  - syntax checking hints in the editor (not just for R, for some other
languages too).

I think Emacs + ESS matches (exceeds if you count non-R stuff) RStudio
in functionality, but it is much harder to learn.

Duncan Murdoch