[R] Error opening SHP file

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 22 19:45:01 CET 2016

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 9:24 AM, Amoy Yang via R-help <r-help at r-project.org> wrote:
>
> This is the results that addresses David's advice.
>> library(maptools)
>> library(maps)
>> state.map <- readShapeSpatial("maps/st24_d00.shp")
> Error in getinfo.shape(fn) : Error opening SHP file
>> # David question: What does list.files('maps') return? Is there a 'st24_d00.shp' value in there?
>> list.files('maps')
> character(0)
> I actually use the link below to learn how to load state/zip-data on USA map.

That link says:

"For example (assumes you have the maryland shapefiles in the map subdirectory):"

So it did not purport to tell you how to put shape files in that subdirectory. That statement assumed you understood basic OS path naming conventions in your unstated OS and how to move files around, which is not a topic for rhelp.

Try working through the examples in the documents that come with the `sp`-package.

--
David.