[R] R-help mailing list activity

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jan 23 14:53:58 CET 2016

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I don't see duplication as counterproductive -- some people like one style,
> some like the other, both will find answers.

Duncan,

   There's another factor to add to your list. Mail lists, such as r-help and
the various SIGs _push_ messages to subscribers' mail boxes. Check your mail
and the threads can be followed. From the subscriber's perspective it's
passive.

   Web fora require subscribers to _pull_ messages by pointing their browser
to that URL, logging in, finding the appropriate forum, and viewing threads.
>From the subscriber's perspective it's active.

   I'm one of the former types of participant. I subscribe to multiple mail
lists and review new messages several times a day when time permits or I
have another reason to do so. I'm rarely on a web forum because it requires
much more time away from business than does a mail list.

Just another perspective,

Rich