[R] R-help mailing list activity / R-not-help?

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 25 20:45:15 CET 2016

I disagree, and would argue that fails to take a systemic view of this
kind of behaviour.

If individual commentators are acerbic and are only privately
reprimanded, from the perspective of everyone else it looks like the
acerbic reply was A-OK. Someone said something unnecessarily hostile
and the response was...nada. That creates an environment where there
are no clear examples of what crosses a line and no clear expectation
that moderation is even a thing that happens. Indeed, I was shocked to
discover this list _was_ moderated precisely because all I see is
people being mean and nothing much else happening.

I would much rather a system where there is some sort of public
notice. It doesn't have to be identifying. Just "after a couple of
replies that did not follow our guidelines I have put some members of
this list on moderation, meaning that they must have their posts
cleared before being sent out. A reminder that we have certain
standards here and etc etc etc"

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula
Wikimedia Foundation