[R] R Licensing Question

Jonathan Gellar JGellar at mathematica-mpr.com
Tue Jan 26 15:28:36 CET 2016

Hello,

I have found a list of all software licenses supported by CRAN at the following site:

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/share/licenses/license.db

There is also the list of commonly used licenses here:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/licenses/

I have tried to read through some of these licenses, but I am not a lawyer and some of the legal jargon is difficult to get through. I have a simple question:

Are there any packages available on CRAN that have a license that requires that every use of a particular package (e.g. in an analysis) be made open source as well? I have never heard of this being the case, and it does not appear to be true for any of the most commonly used licenses, but from what I understand it would be possible for someone to create a license that has this requirement.

I apologize for the mass email if this is not the best forum for this question, but I could not find an answer elsewhere.

Thank you,
Jonathan

Jonathan Gellar
Statistician