[R] 'ref' must be an existing level

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sat Jul 9 20:14:04 CEST 2016

Adding the argument strip.white=TRUE to your call to read.csv() will remove
possible leading or trailing "white space" (spaces and tabs).

> str(read.csv( text = " honors,cum laude\nhonors, cum laude\n",
header=FALSE))
'data.frame':   2 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ V1: Factor w/ 2 levels " honors","honors": 1 2
 $ V2: Factor w/ 2 levels " cum laude","cum laude": 2 1
> str(read.csv( text = " honors,cum laude\nhonors, cum laude\n",
header=FALSE, strip.white=TRUE))
'data.frame':   2 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ V1: Factor w/ 1 level "honors": 1 1
 $ V2: Factor w/ 1 level "cum laude": 1 1

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com