[R] gsl package installation problem: gsl-config not found (even though gsl has been installed)

pan yang hippolionforlily at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:51:33 CEST 2016

Dear R-community,

I faced this problem when I tried to install the R gsl wrapper in my
university's HPC cluster. Before installing the R wrapper, I have already
installed the 'gsl' version 2.1 in my own directory '/home/pyangac/dev'. I
have tested the gsl installation by compiling the simple program in the gsl
manual (
https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/An-Example-Program.html#An-Example-Program
).

After this, I followed the steps in page 30 of the R package's document (
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gsl/gsl.pdf) to install the package
(I didn't do step 3 because I really don't know how to do it, and by
looking at the solutions posted online, nobody had done step 3):

$ /home/pyangac/dev/bin/gsl-config --libs
-L/home/pyangac/dev/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm

$ /home/pyangac/dev/bin/gsl-config --cflags
-I/home/pyangac/dev/include

$ LDFLAGS="-L/home/pyangac/dev/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm"; export LDFLAGS
$ CPPFALGS="-I/home/pyangac/dev/include"; export CPPFLAGS

$ R CMD INSTALL '/home/pyangac/gsl_1.9-10.1.tar.gz'
* installing to library '/home/pyangac/R_libs'
* installing *source* package 'gsl' ...
** package 'gsl' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking for gsl-config... no
configure: error: gsl-config not found, is GSL installed?
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'gsl'
* removing '/home/pyangac/R_libs/gsl'

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it because I have not go through
step 3?

Your generous help and assistance will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Pan

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]