[R] [R-pkgs] New package 'forestinventory: Design-Based Global and Small-Area Estimations for Multiphase Forest Inventories'

Hill Andreas andreas.hill at usys.ethz.ch
Sat Jul 9 13:38:53 CEST 2016

Dear R users,

We are happy to announce that the R package 'forestinventory: Design-Based Global and Small-Area Estimations for Multiphase Forest Inventories'
is now on CRAN (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/forestinventory/).

The aim of our package is to provide global- and smallarea estimators for twophase and threephase forest inventories under simple and cluster sampling.
The methods can be used for double sampling for stratification (i.e. classical ANOVA model as prediction model),
double sampling for regression (i.e. multiple regression model as prediction model) and double sampling for regression within strata
(i.e. classical ANCOVA model as prediction model). The implemented estimators have been developed by Daniel Mandallaz at ETH Zurich
and their implementation has been optimized according to current challenges and needs of multiphase inventories (e.g. use of remote sensing / geodata).

Relevant features:

-          Provides point - and variance estimators for 64 inventory scenarios in total,

according to sample design (simple and cluster sampling, two- and threephase inventory designs) and availability of auxiliary information

-          Allows for the computation of Confidence Intervals for the point estimates

-          Completes the range of the already published estimators for threephase small area estimations

-          Also includes estimators for onephase inventories (only using terrestrial inventory data)

Upcoming activities:
We will publish a vignette illustrating the use of the various estimators as soon as possible.

Best,

Andreas Hill
Alexander Massey

ETH Zürich