[R] Linear model vs Mixed model

Utkarsh Singhal utkarsh.iit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 18:06:12 CEST 2016

Hi Brian,

This makes some sense to me theoretically, but doesn't pan out with my
experiment.

The contrasts default was the following as you said:
> options("contrasts")
$contrasts
        unordered           ordered
"contr.treatment"      "contr.poly"

I changed it as follows:
> options(contracts=c(unordered="contr.sum", ordered="contr.poly"))

But the output of 'lm' model was exactly the same as before.

Then I tried the following:
> coef(lm(Reaction ~ Days + Subject, sleepstudy,
contrasts=list(Subject="contr.sum")))

The model output appears slightly different, but the 'Subject* + Intercept'
is still exactly the same as the default 'lm' model.

Also, as you can verify below, the predictions from two 'lm' models are
exactly the  same

> fit_lm = lm(Reaction ~ Days + Subject, sleepstudy);
> fit_lm2 = lm(Reaction ~ Days + Subject, sleepstudy,
contrasts=list(Subject="contr.sum"))

> head(predict(fit_lm))
       1        2        3        4        5        6
295.0310 305.4983 315.9656 326.4329 336.9002 347.3675

> head(predict(fit_lm2))
       1        2        3        4        5        6
295.0310 305.4983 315.9656 326.4329 336.9002 347.3675

And these are quite different from the mixedmodel:

> fit_lmer = lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (1| Subject), sleepstudy)
> head(predict(fit_lmer))
       1        2        3        4        5        6
292.1888 302.6561 313.1234 323.5907 334.0580 344.5252

Any idea?

Utkarsh Singhal
91.96508.54333