[R] Selecting 1st and last dates from a set of dates

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Jul 14 17:41:55 CEST 2016

Does the following example help?  isFirstInRun() and isLastInRun() are handy
utility functions.

> d <- transform(data.frame(Date=as.Date(c("2016-01-05", "2016-03-04",
"2016-03-30", "2015-12-02", "2016-03-04", "2015-12-21"))),
DaysSince1970=as.integer(Date), I=seq_along(Date))
        Date DaysSince1970 I
1 2016-01-05         16805 1
2 2016-03-04         16864 2
3 2016-03-30         16890 3
4 2015-12-02         16771 4
5 2016-03-04         16864 5
6 2015-12-21         16790 6
> isFirstInRun <- function(x) c(TRUE, x[-1] != x[-length(x)])
> isLastInRun <- function(x) c(x[-1] != x[-length(x)], TRUE)
> ds <- d[order(d$Date),]
> ds
        Date DaysSince1970 I
4 2015-12-02         16771 4
6 2015-12-21         16790 6
1 2016-01-05         16805 1
2 2016-03-04         16864 2
5 2016-03-04         16864 5
3 2016-03-30         16890 3
> ds[isFirstInRun(format(ds$Date, "%Y-%m")),]
        Date DaysSince1970 I
4 2015-12-02         16771 4
1 2016-01-05         16805 1
2 2016-03-04         16864 2
> ds[isLastInRun(format(ds$Date, "%Y-%m")),]
        Date DaysSince1970 I
6 2015-12-21         16790 6
1 2016-01-05         16805 1
3 2016-03-30         16890 3