[R] update of formula with conditional rhs introduces unwantedparentheses

Gerrit Eichner Gerrit.Eichner at math.uni-giessen.de
Tue Jul 19 11:53:06 CEST 2016

Dear list members,

is anyone aware of a (simple) strategy to prevent update() from
introducing parentheses around a conditional rhs of a formula
when updating, e.g., only its lhs? Simple example:

update( y ~ a|b, log(.) ~ .)

gives log(y) ~ (a | b), but I want/need log(y) ~ a | b

I do know how to extract various components of a formula and how to
"re-build" formulae from such single components, but I would like to
avoid that.

  Thx for any hint  --  Gerrit