[R] Build command in library(devtools)

Steven Yen syen04 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:24:22 CEST 2016

Here is what I found. I had to go back to as early as R 3.0.3 (March,
2014) along with Rtools30.exe that works with that version of R, in
order for devtools to work right. With other/later version of R, I end
up building a package with
library(devtools); build("yenlib",binary=F)
with no error message but the package does not run correctly; or with
library(devtools); build("yenlib",binary=T)
which deliver an error that says zip command failed (bevtools calls
Rtools when binary=T).

Updated versions are good, but what's the use if they do not work for a
situation like this.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

On 7/20/2016 10:08 AM, Steven Yen wrote:
> On 7/19/2016 4:38 PM, John McKown wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Steven Yen <syen04 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:syen04 at gmail.com>>wrote:
>>
>>     I recently updated my R and RStudio to the latest version and
>> now the
>>     binary option in the "build" command in devtools stops working.
>>
>>     I went around and used the binary=F option which worked by I get
>> the
>>     .tar.gz file instead of the .zip file which I prefer.
>>
>>     Does anyone understand the following error message:
>>
>>     status 127
>>     running 'zip' failed
>>

>> ​I'm not totally sure, but I think that means that R cannot find the
>> "zip" program in order to run it. ​

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]