[R] readline issue with 3.3.1

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 21 18:07:43 CEST 2016

    > Am Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:35:31 +0200
    > schrieb Ralf Goertz <r_goertz at web.de>:

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> after a recent update to version 3.3.1 on Opensuse Leap I have
    >> problems with command lines longer than the terminal width. E.g. when
    >> I do this

    > I installed readline version 6.3 and the issue is gone. So probably some
    > of the recent changes in R's readline code are incompatible with version
    > readline version 6.2.

Yes, it seems so, unfortunately.

Thank you for reporting !

Our plan had been different: the NEWS entry for 3.3.1 (among 'BUG FIXES') says

    • Use of Ctrl-C to terminate a reverse incremental search started
      by Ctrl-R in the readline-based Unix terminal interface is now
      supported when R was compiled against readline >= 6.0 (Ctrl-G
      always worked).  (PR#16603)

So we had hoped that change (fixing a bug you *should* have been
able to see with readline 6.2, as well) would work correctly in all
versions of readline >= 6.0,
but evidently it did not in yours.

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich / R Core Team