[R] C/C++/Fortran Rolling Window Regressions

jeremiah rounds roundsjeremiah at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 23:43:54 CEST 2016

I agree that when appropriate Kalman Filter/Smoothing the higher-quality
way to go about estimating a time-varying coefficient (given that is what
they do),  and I have noted that both the R package "dlm" and the function
"StructTS" handle these problems quickly.  I am working on that in
parallel.

One of the things I am unsure about with Kalman Filters is how to estimate
variance parameters when the process is unusual in some way that isn't in
the model and it is not feasible to adjust the model by-hand.  dlm's dlmMLE
seems to produce non-sense (not because of the author's work but because of
assumptions).  At least with moving window regressions after the unusual
event is past your window the influence of that event is gone.    That
isn't really a question for this group it is more about me reading more.
When I get that "how to handle all the strange things big data throws at
you" worked out for Kalman Filters, I will go back to those because I
certainly like what I see when everything is right.  There is a plethora of
related topics right?  Bayesian Model Averaging, G-ARCH models for
heteroscedasticity, etc.

Anyway... roll::roll_lm, cheers!

Thanks,
Jeremiah