[R] glmmPQL crashes on inclusion of corSpatial object

Patrick Johann Schratz patrick.schratz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 15:10:37 CEST 2016

Link to data: <https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi3vf0bmqvydr8h/data.Rd?dl=0>
(1170 obs, 9 variables, .Rd file) [plain link in case sth goes wrong
with the hyperlink: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi3vf0bmqvydr8h/data.Rd?dl=0]

Simply read it in using `readRDS(file)`.

I´m trying to setup a GLMM using the `glmmPQL` function from the `MASS`
package including a random effects part and accounting for spatial
autocorrelation. However, R (Version: 3.3.1) crashes upon execution.

     library(nlme)

     # setup model formula
     fo <- hail ~ prec_nov_apr + t_min_nov_apr + srad_nov_apr + age

     # setup corSpatial object
     correl = corSpatial(value = c(10000, 0.1), form = ~ry + rx, nugget
= TRUE,
                         fixed = FALSE, type = "exponential")
     correl = Initialize(correl, data = d)

     # fit model
     fit5 <- MASS::glmmPQL(fo, random = ~1 | date, data = d,
                     correl = correl, family = binomial)

What I tried so far:

- reduce number of observation
- play with `corSpatial` parameters (range and nugget)
- reduce number of fixed predictors
- execute code on Windows, Linux (Debian) and Mac R installations

While I get no error message on my local pc (RStudio just crashes),
running the script on a server returns the following error message:

`R: malloc.c:3540: _int_malloc: Assertion (fwd->size & 0x4) == 0'
failed. Aborted`

Debugging leads me to a "glibc" c++ library problem. I also run valgrind
on it. If you need the output, just ask!

Help ist highly appreciated!
Cheers, Patrick

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]