[R] Interpreting error message probably caused by directlabels

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 25 11:37:51 CEST 2016

Dear all,

Possibly as a result of an update to R 3.3.0, a script which I had been
running regularly via cron, the following line

  p_named <- p_anon + geom_dl(aes(label=user,colour=user),
                              list("top.points",
                              cex = 0.5, rot = -45, hjust = 1))
now produces the error:

  Error in ggplot2::layer(data = data, mapping = mapping, geom = GeomDl,  :
    must specify method= argument

Given that I don't call ggplot2::layer directly and given that
?ggplot2::layer doesn't contain any reference to an argument 'method',
what is the interpretation of this error message?

Aside from understanding the error message I would also be interested in
a solution to the problem, which I assume is due to an incompatibility
between the new version of R and the  package 'directlabels'.

Cheers,

Loris