[R] Windows 10 Application Compatibility Check | FreeWare R Statistical Environment v3.2.2

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:16:28 CEST 2016

Sorry if my earlier remarks were unfair to City but their request reminded
me of some problems that I had with using R, similar software and the
obstacles placed in my way by an IT Department many years ago. If it is of
any help I have R installed on a Desktop and two laptops (running 64-bit
Windows 10) and one very modest Tablet (running 32-bit Windows 10). Perhaps
I have been lucky as I have not encountered any problems.

Rstudio clearly supports Windows 10 (See supported packages on
https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download2/).  Microsoft have
"Microsoft R Open" (formerly Revolution R) available at
https://mran.revolutionanalytics.com/. These are based on a fixed CRAN
repository date. The version available there is said to be compatible
with Windows
7.0 (SP1), 8.1, 10 and Windows Server® 2008 R2 (SP1), 2012 (64-bit versions
only).

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.html
mailto:frainj at tcd.ie
mailto:frainj at gmail.com

On 27 July 2016 at 17:09, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With the caveat that I speak for myself only, a few comments:
>
> 1. Given that Citi appears to have been running R on Windows 7 for some
> period of time, I am not sure that they are looking for reasons to deny
> users access to R. They are simply looking for some indication that R will
> run on Windows 10.
>
> 2. There is nothing presently in the relevant R for Windows FAQ:
>

> https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Does-R-run-under-Windows-Vista_003f
>
> that explicitly indicates that R will run on Windows 10. At some point,
> presumably, that would be updated to reflect more recent experience by R
> Core.
>
> 3. Besides Robert's comment below on his experience (n of 1), there are
> other comments that I see via a Google search that would suggest that his
> experience is not unique (e.g. https://rpubs.com/kartykr/rrproject) and
> there are threads in the R-Help archives from last September:
>
>   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2015-September/431809.html
>   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2015-September/431825.html
>
> that also support the notion that R will run on Windows 10.
>
> 4. If Citi, wants to pursue a more "commercial-like" approach to paid
> support for R, there are commercial versions of R available, which I shall
> not mention here, but a quick Google search would avail them of more
> details.
>
> 5. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, R is not Freeware. R (as made
> available by the R Foundation) is free open source software (FOSS) and is
> distributed under relevant open source licenses. The label "Freeware",
> which typically refers to proprietary software, only means that the binary
> application itself is free of charge. It does not mean that the source code
> for the application is also available. There is a very large functional and
> philosophical difference between FOSS and Freeware.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>

> > On Jul 27, 2016, at 9:47 AM, John C Frain <frainj at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > When I first graduated some 50 years ago I worked in the Department of
> > Finance. On small piece of my work involved getting CPI data from the CSO
> > and doing some calculations. A specific person in the CSO (Central
> > Statistics Office) usually supplied this information and this fact was
> > always recorded on the file. On one occasion I could not contact that
> > person and I visited the department library and extracted the information
> > myself. When my boss saw that I had not contacted the CSO I was
> instructed
> > to contact them and repeat the calculation. It was explained to me that
> if
> > I contacted the CSO we could blame someone outside the Department of
> > Finance if they supplied the information.
> >
> > It appears that Citi Architecture & Technology Engineering are behaving
> in
> [...]

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]