[R] How to specify a data frame column using command line arg?

Douglas Johnson todojo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 21:45:36 CEST 2016

I'm guessing this is trivial but I've spent two hours searching and reading
FAQ, tutorial, introductory and 'idiom' documents and haven't found a
solution. All I want to do is select a data frame column at run time using
a command line arg. For example, the "test.csv" file contains:

a,b,c
1,2,3
4,5,6
7,8,9

If I run "test.r a", I get [1,4,7].
If I run "test.r b", I get [2,5,8].

Here's sample code -- how I map args[1] to column/vector 'a' or 'b' or 'c'?

args <- commandArgs(trailingOnly=T)

adl1<-read.csv(file="test.csv",head=T,sep=",")

adl1$SOME-MAGIC-FUNCTION-OR-SYMBOL(args[1])

All I'm really trying to do is generate a bunch of scatter plots of column
'x' vs. 'y' without writing a separate program for each pair.

Thanks,

Doug

--
http://www.dojopico.org <http://dojopico.org>