[R] Reading and converting time data via read.table

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jun 8 19:20:38 CEST 2016

As far as I know, base R does not have a class for storing times that are
not associated with a date, and recognizing that they are times. That
being the case, I don't think there is a way to convert them to some sort
of time class while reading them into R using read.table(). I would read
them into R as character strings, and then convert them (it would take
only a few extra lines of code). How you convert them depends on the next
question, which is:

What do you need to do with those times?

For example, are T1 and T2 the times associated with two events that both
occurred on the specified Date? If that is the case, I would probably form
two POSIXct variables by combining the Date with T1 and the Date with T2.
Or, do you just need to be able to sort your data by T1, or by T2? Or do
you need to calculate the time differences (such as T2-T1) to get the
number of minutes between those two times?

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory