[R] Problem loading aplpack library

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Jun 9 16:20:09 CEST 2016

Hi,

First, since David is reporting an issue on OS X, this should be posted to R-SIG-Mac:

Second, he is installing a binary version of the package and XCode should not be required in that setting.

There are a variety of warnings related to that package on CRAN:

  https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_aplpack.html

Since they are warnings and not errors, that is presumably a low enough hurdle to enable the package to be released on CRAN, but the package author should really be working on resolving them. That being said, the package has not been updated since September of 2014, so unless it is updated at some point soon-ish, it may end up being orphaned and/or archived, depending upon CRAN policies.

FWIW, I did try to install the package on my Mac, running R 3.3.0 under El Capitan and had no issues, either with the install or loading the package.

It might be prudent for David to consider removing his R installation completely and install R 3.3.0 from scratch, along with XQuartz after installing R, which was just recently updated to 2.7.9.

David appears to be running R 3.1.x based upon the CRAN path being used below, so installing the latest stable version of R would be prudent.

Lastly, tclck is part of the base R distribution and does not need to be installed separately. That is why David is not finding it when trying to install it. It is already installed.

tcltk2 is a third party CRAN package and is not indicated as being a dependency for aplpack.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz