[R] Help with the Cut Function

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Jun 25 23:55:00 CEST 2016

> On Jun 25, 2016, at 12:05 PM, Shivi Bhatia <shivipmp82 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Team,
>
> Please see the code below:
>
> Age1<- cut(desc$Age, breaks = c(20,30,40,Inf),labels = c("Low","Mid","Top"))

Try instead:

Age1<- cut(desc$Age, breaks = c(-Inf, 20,30,40,Inf),labels = c("Low","Mid","Top"))

Do note that values that are <= 20 will be in the lowest category. (You wrote only <20 whereas values of 20 would have not been in any interval.)  The cut function also has a use.lowest argument, whose actions I don't fully understand but I usually set to to TRUE whereas is default is FALSE. I prefer the Hmisc::cut2 functions because its defaults mirror my usual interests. Like cut2, the findInterval function has closed intervals on the left.