[R] strange behavior of lchoose in combinatorics problem

Gonçalo Ferraz gferraz29 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 06:35:35 CEST 2016

Stefan,

I am sorry that I wasn’t more careful writing my question. I misrepresented my problem when I wrote “the sum of the probabilities in lpvec should be <=1, but it is not. The sum is something on the order of 1.48e-13.”
It is absolutely right that lpvec doesn’t contain probabilities, it contains log-probabilities that are negative numbers. Also, clearly, the value of 1.48e-13 is <=1!
What I meant is that I wanted to add probabilities in the log-probability space and that I expected a negative value as a result. Instead, I am getting a positive value.

You are also right that if I wanted to test for a positive association I should add the probabilities of k>=J to obtain a p-value. This is clear to me, but I want a metric of the strength of association between animals that takes higher values when the association is stronger. A final result in the log-probability space is useful because I want to use the strength of association to build networks of individuals.

Finally, your idea of using Fisher’s exact test is very appealing for the simplicity and availability of a working function in R, but I am having trouble interpreting the result, or the result is different from that of my formula. Here’s a simple example:

Say N=2, N1=1, N2=1, and J=1. In this case, if the individuals are completely independent of each other, I expect to see them together with a probability of 0.5. That is the output from my function, in probability space. If I run Fisher’s exact test on the corresponding contingency table, however, I get a p-value of 1. This is what I did:

fisher.test(rbind(c(J,N1-J),c(N2-J,N-N1-N2+J)))

Why should this be, when the Fisher’s exact test is giving me the probability of obtaining the observed arrangement under the null hypothesis of no association between the animals. Am I interpreting the output incorrectly. Thank you for answer, it is great to find an even simpler way of addressing the problem.

Best,

Gonçalo