[R] ggplot2 stat_smooth

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 00:10:29 CEST 2016

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 2:17 PM, Nathan Pace <n.l.pace at utah.edu> wrote:
>
> I want to add a logistic plot to data.
>
> My call to ggplot is:
>

> ggplot(data = SSI.dt, aes(x = elapsed, y = 1 - control)) + geom_point() +
> stat_smooth(method = 'glm', family = binomial) +
> xlab('Surgery Duration (min)') + ylab('Probability SSI') +
> labs(title = 'THA Surgical Site Infections')
> ggsave(filename = 'Plots/SSI.Duration.pdf’)
>
> An error message is returned: Unknown parameters: family

So you would have naturally looked at the acceptable arguments for the function, right?

> Removing “family = binomial” returns a straight line with points appropriately placed on y = 0 and y = 1.
>
> I found some previous messages on markmail that listed my call as the correct syntax structure.

Perhaps they referred to older versions of the function.

Looking at:

?stat_smooth

 The current help page implements this by creating a helper function, binomial_smooth,  but using its example of the needed arguments I did just try:

... + stat_smooth(method = 'glm', method.args = list(family = "binomial"))

With success.

--
David.