[R] how to get the 'starting directory'

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 2 10:40:12 CET 2016

    > The message with the bomb is R session .. see picture
    > Jean

Indeed, as Petr guessed correctly, this is what  Rstudio
produces for you.

and, indeed #2, Jean,  you (and many others!) should learn to
distinguish between R and  Rstudio+R ( or ESS+R or StatET+R ).

The more sophisticated these GUIs become, the more often we have
to make this distinction, unfortunately, as the price for
sophistication unfortunately is typically paid by more bugs.
This is not just the case for Rstudio but ESS as well (says a
long time ESS project maintainer).

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich