[R] Slow CRAN Mirror Action

Justace Clutter justacec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:01:43 CET 2016

I have been creating a local mirror of the CRAN for my works servers.
After a review of the CRAN mirror literature, I settled on the following
command to perform the mirror:

rsync -rtlzv --delete --exclude-from u:\CRANRSYNCFilterRules
cran.r-project.org::CRAN .

Where the CRANRSYNCFilterRules file has the following contents:

///// BEGIN SNIP
- bin/linux
- bin/macos
- bin/macosx
- bin/windows/base/old
#- bin/windows/contrib/*
- bin/windows/contrib/1*
- bin/windows/contrib/2*
- bin/windows/contrib/3.0
- bin/windows/contrib/3.1
+ bin/
+ bin/windows/
+ bin/windows/contrib/
+ bin/windows/contrib/3.2/
+ bin/windows/contrib/3.2/***
///// END SNIP

What I find is that the command tends to redownload a lot of files and I
can never seem to get past the windows/contrib/3.2 directory because I have
to leave work and go home for the day after 7 hours.  Is there something
incorrect with my rsync command which is forcing the redownload of a lot of
packages?  Is there a way to speed this process up?  Thank you for any help.

Version Information: Just in case people feel they need to know
OS: Windows 7
rsync: version 3.0.9  protocol version 30
Network: hardwired to company LAN which has some form of firewall/proxy to
the real internet

Justace

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]