[R] Regression with factor having1 level

Robert McGehee rmcgehee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 02:03:00 CET 2016

Here's an example for clarity:

> df <- data.frame(y=c(0,2,4,6,8), x1=c(1,1,2,2,NA),
x2=factor(c("A","A","A","A","B")))
> resid(lm(y~x1+x2, data=df, na.action=na.exclude)
Error in `contrasts<-`(`*tmp*`, value = contr.funs[1 + isOF[nn]]) :
  contrasts can be applied only to factors with 2 or more levels

Note that the x2 factor variable contains two levels, but the "B" level is
excluded in the regression due to the NA value in x1. Hence the error.

Instead of the above error, I would like a function that returns the
residual of the regression without the offending term, which in this case
would be equivalent to:
> resid(lm(y~x1, data=df, na.action=na.exclude)
 1  2  3  4  5
-1  1 -1  1 NA

Note the 5th term returns an NA as there is an NA in the x1 independent
variable, which was what I had meant by maintain NAs.

I'm currently leaning towards rewriting model.matrix.default so that it
removes offending terms rather than give an error, but if someone has done
this already (or something more elegant), that would of course be preferred
:)
--Robert