[R] specify size of box around legend

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Mar 11 15:50:56 CET 2016

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/03/2016 9:01 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> assume the following code:

>> plot(1,1)
>> legend(x="topleft", legend = LETTERS[1:10], title = "L 1")
>> legend(x="bottomleft", legend = paste(LETTERS[1:10], letters[1:12],LETTERS[1:10]), title = "L 2")
>> legend(x="topright", legend = LETTERS[1:15], title = "L 3")
>>
>> The box around L 1 is less wide than the box around L 2 due to automatic
>> sizing of the box.
>>
>> Is there a way of specifying the width of the box, so that L 1 and L 2
>> have the same width?
>
> text.width should work.  (It is in the ?legend help page, along with
> approximately one million other optional arguments.)

Thanks - that works.

May I suggest to change the documentation from:

text.width: the width of the legend text in x (‘"user"’) coordinates.
          (Should be positive even for a reversed x axis.)  Defaults to
          the proper value computed by ‘strwidth(legend)’.

text.width: the width of the legend text in x (‘"user"’) coordinates.
          (Should be positive even for a reversed x axis.)  If set,
         it is used to compute the width of the legend box. Defaults to
          the proper value computed by ‘strwidth(legend)’.

to make this clear?

>> In the same sense: can I also specify the height of the legend, so that
>> L 1 and L 3 have the same height?
>
> You can add blank entries as fillers to L 1.

True - but no other parameter to achieve this? Equivalent to text.widht?

Thanks

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug