[R] sample within a loop

DIGHE, NILESH [AG/2362] nilesh.dighe at monsanto.com
Thu Mar 17 18:18:34 CET 2016

Dear R users,
                My data frame has four "groups" namely A1, B2, C3, & D4.  Each group has 12 rows (variable "plotno).  I like to randomly sample one "plotno" within each "groups" variable and label it as "CONTROL" and label others as "TEST" in a new variable called "entry".  I am trying to do this by looping over the group variable and then sample "plotno" within a given group.  I am ending up with four "CONTROL" plots but they are generated by sampling over all the groups instead of each group.  I need one random "plotno" assigned as a "CONTROL" per group (A1, B2, C3, D4).  I would appreciate any help in modifying my function "funa" or suggest any alternative and better way to do this task.  Below is the dataset and function I am working with.

# dataset (df)
structure(list(plotno = 1:48, groups = c("A1", "A1", "A1", "A1",
"A1", "A1", "A1", "A1", "A1", "A1", "A1", "A1", "B2", "B2", "B2",
"B2", "B2", "B2", "B2", "B2", "B2", "B2", "B2", "B2", "C3", "C3",
"C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "C3", "D4",
"D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4", "D4"
)), .Names = c("plotno", "groups"), row.names = c(NA, -48L), class = "data.frame")

# function (funa)

function (dataset)

{

    set.seed(1)

    bay <- unique(dataset$groups)

    IND <- c()

    df2 <- dataset

    for (i in bay) {

        IND[i] <- which(plotno %in% sample(plotno, 1))

        df2$entry <- ifelse(df2$plotno %in% IND, "CONTROL", "TEST")

    }

    df2

}

# session info

R version 3.2.1 (2015-06-18)

Platform: i386-w64-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1

locale:

[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252    LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252

[4] LC_NUMERIC=C                           LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

[1] tools_3.2.1

Thanks.
Nilesh

Nilesh Dighe
(806)-252-7492 (Cell)
(806)-741-2019 (Office)

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled
to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and
all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its
subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying
this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations of the United States, potentially
including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information you are obligated to comply with all

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]