[R] Reshaping an array - how does it work in R

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 23 18:25:12 CET 2016

    > Hi Martin,

    >> > Hi Roy,
    >> > R (usually) makes a copy if the dimensionality of an array is modified,
    >> > even if you use this syntax:
    >>
    >> > x <- array(1:24, c(2, 3, 4))
    >> > dim(x) <- c(6, 4)
    >>
    >> > See also ?tracemem, ?data.table::address, ?pryr::address and other tools
    >> > to trace if an internal copy is done.
    >>
    >> Well, without using strange (;-) packages,  indeed standard R's
    >> tracemem(), notably the help page is a good pointer.
    >>
    >> According to the help page memory tracing is enabled in the
    >> default R binaries for Windows and OS X.
    >> For Linux (where I, as R developer, compile R myself anyway),
    >> one needs to configure with --enable-memory-profiling .
    >>
    >> Now, let's try:
    >>
    >> > x <- array(rnorm(47), dim = c(1000,50, 40))
    >> > tracemem(x)
    >> [1] "<0x7f79a498a010>"
    >> > dim(x) <- c(1000* 50, 40)
    >> > x[5] <- pi
    >> > tracemem(x)
    >> [1] "<0x7f79a498a010>"
    >> >

    >> So,*BOTH*   the re-dimensioning*AND*   the  sub-assignment did
    >> *NOT*  make a copy.

    > This is interesting. First I wanted to demonstrate to Roy that recent R
    > versions are smart enough not to make any copy during reshaping an
    > array. Then I put together an example (similar to yours) and realized
    > that after several reshapes, R starts to copy the array. So I had to
    > modify my suggestion... And now, I realized that this was an
    > RStudio-issue. At least on Linux, a standard R terminal behaves as you
    > described, however, RStudio (version 0.99.862, which is not the very
    > latest) tends to create copies (quite randomly, at least to me). If I
    > have time I will test this more thoroughly and file a report to RStudio
    > if it turns out to be a bug.

Interesting, indeed.

I can confirm the bugous  Rstudio behavior
using the latest version of Rstudio (64 bit Linux, Fedora 22)
      RStudio Version 0.99.891 – © 2009-2016 RStudio, Inc.

The attached small R script is very transparent in demonstrating
the problem.
If you have a tracemem-enabled version of R, the output is even
more revealing, inside Rstudio it gives

> showAdr <- function(x) {
+     if(capabilities("profmem")) {
+         tracemem(x)
+     } else {
+         cat("R version not configured for memory tracing\n")
+         .Internal(inspect(x))# also works w/o tracemem
+     }
+ }
> x <- array(rnorm(47), dim = c(1000, 50, 40))
> showAdr(x)
[1] "<0x7fad78b37010>"
> dim(x) <- c(1000*50, 40) # *no* copying
tracemem[0x7fad78b37010 -> 0x7fad77bf4010]:
> showAdr(x) # Rstudio "fails" and has copied x
[1] "<0x7fad77bf4010>"
> x[3] <- pi
tracemem[0x7fad77bf4010 -> 0x1ad05f50]:
> showAdr(x)
[1] "<0x1ad05f50>"
> ## in R, R CMD BATCH, also from ESS: there is *no* copying
> ## However, in Rstudio copying has happened!

Martin