[R] Why missing values are not allowed in 'poly'?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Mar 23 21:56:35 CET 2016

I don't know what is in R's poly(), but if it is like S+'s or TERR's then
one could do

            if (anyNA(x))  {
                nax <- na.exclude(x)
                px <- poly(x = nax, degree = degree, coefs = coefs, raw =
raw, simple = simple)
                px <- structure(naresid(attr(nax, "na.action"), px), coefs
= attr(px, "coefs"), degree = attr(px, "degree"), class = attr(px, "class"))
                return(px)
            }

and get nice results in the usual raw=FALSE case as well.  Similar stuff
could be done in the multivariate cases.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com