[R] Persistent state in a function?

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 20:43:36 CET 2016

Here is the rough equivalent to what you did but using the R6 package:

library(R6)

Cache <- R6Class("Cache",
  public = list(
    myCache = numeric(0),
    add = function(x) {
      self$myCache <- c(self$myCache, x)
      print(self$myCache)
    }
  )
)

cacheThis <- Cache$new()

cacheThis$add(17)
cacheThis$add(13)
cacheThis$add(11)

cacheThat <- Cache$new()

cacheThat$add(1)
cacheThat$add(2)
cacheThat$add(3)
cacheThat$add(5)

cacheThis$myCache

It has the same main advantages, the syntax is a little different.
But one nice thing is that you can access the individual caches in a
more simple manner (don't need get, assign, and <<-).  You could make
the cache private instead of public if you want it harder to access
the cache.