[R] Issue with var command in stats package

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 18:28:50 CEST 2016

> On Mar 27, 2016, at 9:14 AM, John, Larry <Larry.John at anser.org> wrote:
>
> Am using R version 3.2.4 in a fully updated version of Windows 7 and the most current versions of coorplot, FactoMineR and factoextra to support multiple correspondence analysis. However, today, a line of code that worked just fine on one set of data produced an error message on a different set of data.
>
> Specifically, when I ran:
>
> corrplot(var$contrib, is.corr = FALSE)
>
> I received the following message:
>
>> corrplot(var$contrib, is.corr = FALSE)
> Error in var$contrib : object of type 'closure' is not subsettable

Since there is apparently not an object in your workspace named `var`, the interpreter is instead finding the function named `var` (which delivers the variance of a vector) and then is trying to apply the `$`-function to it .... but there is no `$`-method for functions.

> Can you please tell me what this error message means and roughly what I might need to do to correct it? If necessary, I can provide the original data files.

I doubt that the error is in your data. You need to find the section of code that was supposed to be creating an object named `var` and hopefully you now understand why that naming convention was a bad idea. Rewrite that section of code to use objects having more meaningful names, which will result in errors that are more helpful to you in the future.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA