[R] Compute the Gini coefficient

Marine Regis marine.regis at hotmail.fr
Wed Mar 30 02:53:38 CEST 2016

Hello,

I would like to build a Lorenz curve and calculate a Gini coefficient in order to find how much parasites does the top 20% most infected hosts support.

Here is my data set:

Number of parasites per host:
parasites = c(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)

Number of hosts associated with each number of parasites given above:
hosts = c(18,20,28,19,16,10,3,1,0,0,0)

To represent the Lorenz curve:
I manually calculated the cumulative percentage of parasites and hosts:

cumul_parasites <- cumsum(parasites)/max(cumsum(parasites))
cumul_hosts <- cumsum(hosts)/max(cumsum(hosts))
plot(cumul_hosts, cumul_parasites, type= "l")

>From this Lorenz curve, how can I calculate the Gini coefficient with the function "gini" in R (package reldist) given that the vector "hosts" is not a vector of weights ?

Thank you very much for your help.
Have a nice day
Marine