[R] ts or xts with high-frequency data within a year

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:47:50 CEST 2016

Inline.

Bert Gunter

and sticking things into it."

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Ryan Utz <utz.ryan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill, Josh, and Bert,
>
> Thanks for your responses. I still can't quite get this when I use actual
> dates. Here's an example of what is going wrong:
>
> X=as.data.frame(1:6000)
> X[2]=seq.POSIXt(ISOdate(2015,11,1),by='hour',length.out=6000)
> X[3]=sample(100,size=6000,replace=T)
>
> Y=xts(X[,3],order.by=X[,2])
> decompose(Y)
>
> Z=ts(X[,2],frequency=24*365)
> plot(decompose(Z))

## TYPO!  It should be X[,2].

***WARNING***
I am not a time series expert. The remarks below are therefore subject
to confirmation or correction by those who are. Caveat emptor!

Also, you seem to be somewhat confused about how the seasonal
decomposition in decompose() works.

My understanding from what you said is that your unit of time is days
and that you have samples every 15 minutes, but that you wish to
estimate hourly effects. If this is correct, you first need to first
combine (e.g. via by() ) your 4 observations into a single summary
(e.g. average or median, maybe) so that you have an hourly time
series. Run this through ts() with frequency = 24: your period is
daily = 24 hours and you have 24 observations/period.

(Note that you could use the original data to get 96 15 minute
estimates instead of hourly estimates).

When you run this through decompose(), it will give you 24 "seasonal"
effects/period, the hourly effects. The "trend" component will try to
remove longer term effects and trends over time.

Note, however, this is probably **not** what you want. I suspect you
want both hourly effects and daily or monthly effects to reflect
annual seasonalities as well as daily. decompose() cannot do this,
apparently, so you should look for an alternative solution. Better
yet, consult with a local time series expert to help you figure out
what you might want and how to get it in R.

Cheers,
Bert