[R] Warning when running R - can't install packages either

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri May 13 11:20:22 CEST 2016

On 05/12/2016 10:25 PM, Alba Pompeo wrote:
> Martin Morgan, I tried an HTTP mirror and it worked.
> What could be the problem and how to fix?

The problem is in the warning message

1: In download.file(url, destfile = f, quiet = TRUE) :
URL 'https://cran.r-project.org/CRAN_mirrors.csv': status was 'Problem
with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)'

and an easier way to reproduce / troubleshoot the problem is

     download.file("https://cran.r-project.org/CRAN_mirrors.csv",
tempfile())

The details of this process are described in ?download.file. My guess
would be that you have 'libcurl' available

 > capabilities()["libcurl"]
libcurl
    TRUE

that it supports https (mine does, in the protocol attribute):

 > libcurlVersion()
[1] "7.35.0"
attr(,"ssl_version")
[1] "OpenSSL/1.0.1f"
attr(,"libssh_version")
[1] ""
attr(,"protocols")
  [1] "dict"   "file"   "ftp"    "ftps"   "gopher" "http"   "https"
"imap"
  [9] "imaps"  "ldap"   "ldaps"  "pop3"   "pop3s"  "rtmp"   "rtsp"
"smtp"
[17] "smtps"  "telnet" "tftp"

and that you have outdated or other CA certificates problem, with some
hints for troubleshooting in the first and subsequent paragraphs of the
'Secure URL' section.

Martin Morgan