[R] Accessing objects manipulated in a function

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat May 14 18:45:42 CEST 2016

I think you have boxed yourself into a corner, much like someone painting
the floor and failing to work their way toward an exit.

The whole premise that you will call "unknown code" that does "unknown
things" that change the global environment is a maintenance disaster. Give
up on at least one of these requirements.

Think of the "lm" function. It returns a list of related results,
augmented with a "class" attribute so that methods like "print.lm" and
"summary.lm" will work. The actions performed need not be reviewed in
detail if the user knows what to do with the returned object. The "class"
attribute is a bit of syntactic sugar, but the concept of putting your
results into a list that the caller doesn't have to mix items in with
their own is critical.

Using <<- has to be handled in a very controlled manner... wonton (as in
"users will change my variables this way") use of that operator will
inevitably lead to surprises and puzzlement later.

I also happen to think that standardizing on calling "source" inside
functions is a big mistake... the functions defined by the user should be
setup and handed off to your "master architecture" code as parameters or
elements within lists that are parameters.