[R] file connection when using parallel

Arnaud Mosnier a.mosnier at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:01:27 CEST 2016

Dear UserRs,

I have a little problem creating a file connection when working in parallel
(see the reproducable script below).
I am sure this is something obvious,
Can you enlighten me ?

Thanks,

Arnaud

# This part works
#----------------
cat("This is a test file" , file={f <- tempfile()})
con <- file(f, "rt")

# Doing what I think is the same thing gives an error message when executed
in parallel
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

library(parallel)
cl <- makeCluster(2)

## Exporting the object f into the cluster

  clusterExport(cl, "f")
  clusterEvalQ(cl[1], con <- file(f[[1]], "rt"))
   #Error in checkForRemoteErrors(lapply(cl, recvResult)) :
   # one node produced an error: cannot open the connection

## Creating the object f into the cluster

  clusterEvalQ(cl[1],cat("This is a test file" , file={f <- tempfile()}))
  clusterEvalQ(cl[1],con <- file(f, "rt"))
   #Error in checkForRemoteErrors(lapply(cl, recvResult)) :
   # one node produced an error: cannot open the connection

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]