[R] Whether statistical background is must to learn R language

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue May 31 17:09:42 CEST 2016

In every activity, knowing something about it allows you to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past. There are non-statistical uses of programming languages, so you could use it for domains you are familiar with. Or you could see some intriguing statistical analysis and study in that area to understand it so you can apply it.  The difficulty in such ad-hoc approaches to learning is that it can be inefficient and leave big holes in your knowledge. Of course, you may have limited options at this point, so inefficient may be better than not at all.  To minimize the risk of missing a significant point, you should try to be thorough in your self-study and use expert consultation if you are unsure. (This list is not a good venue for purely theoretical questions, but such venues like stats.stackexchange.com or your local university do exist.)

However, please don't apply R like a magic answers box, because you can mislead others and cause harm.