[R] Helmert contrasts and weighted means

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 19:04:36 CET 2016

> On 10 Nov 2016, at 16:30 , erlis ruli <erlis.ruli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here comes the questions. Is it possible to modify Helmert contrasts in order to use weighted means instead of means of means?

I think not. Not in general. I suppose you can set up a contrast matrix that would make the intercept equal to the overall mean, but the definition would depend on the group sizes. Contrast matrices are by design something that specifies a mapping FROM parameter space TO observation space and shouldn't depend on which observations you have or don't have.

Put differently, you would have to modify the entire design matrix if you removed a few rows.

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com