[R] Question about expression parser for "return" statement

Wolf, Steven WOLFS15 at ecu.edu
Mon Nov 14 17:26:45 CET 2016

Just to add on a bit, please note that the return is superfluous.  If you write this:

normalDensityFunction = function(x, Mean, Variance) {

    # no  "return" value given at all

    (1/sqrt(2*pi*Variance))*exp(-(1/2)*((x - Mean)^2)/Variance)

}

normalDensityFunction(2,0,1)

...you get the right answer again.

This is not "best practices", and Duncan will probably give you 10 reasons why you should never do it this way.  But if the parentheses behavior bothers you enough, you can subvert it.  This probably won't work so well if you try to make any more complicated output.

Caveat Emptor.

-SW

--
Steven Wolf, PhD